CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

eaglesfanguy

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey yall, I am looking to get fiddler crabs. i know Gandy has em, but there frickin tiny.
  I work in gibbsonton and see huge red fiddlers everywhere. Does anyone know where to buy larger fiddler crabs? From Tampa to Apallo beach or tampa to tarpon springs?
Thanks.

Reeltillufeel

Reply with quote  #2 

Sunday Sailor Mike's next door to Gandy B&T had  some nice Fiddlers.

Golf takes 1 Ball Fishing takes 2 Balls
lostsurfer

Reply with quote  #3 
sounds like you already know where to get them. Those big red ones that are everywhere in Gibsonton. Why would you buy them elsewhere?

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsurfer
sounds like you already know where to get them. Those big red ones that are everywhere in Gibsonton. Why would you buy them elsewhere?
Just because he sees them don't mean he can, or wants to catch them. He wants to buy them. I don't like trying to catch them either.

Reply with quote  #5 
They are hard little buggers to catch sometimes. Problem is as soon as they see you they are ALL running to their holes. You can dig for them, one at a time or...

When i used to got to Fort Myers Estero Island every year. (Club I - time share)
I would go out late into the night and place a bed sheet on the ground in front of their holes, cover all edges with sand to keep sheet from blowing away, attach a long nylon cord to two ends and stretch it up into the weeds. Would go down just before day break. The sheet would be covered with them. Pulling the two ropes fast would cover the fiddlers long enough for me to run down, pick up the sheet and drop them into a 6 gal bucket. Keeping fresh and damp sand in bucket will keep the grabs alive for a few days.
Would take them back to the Pink Shell docks and catch sheep head and small snappers. Miss them days!!!

Reply with quote  #6 
 eaglesfanguy.....       a little out of your way but i always get my xlarge fiddlers here.... Capt K Bait n Tackle.. at central ave St Pete. hope this helps...
crabbyfiddler

Reply with quote  #7 
The biggest ones are not necessarily the best bait for Pompano if that's what you will be using them for.
fishdj

Reply with quote  #8 
clearwater bait & tackle on 60/CCC has them for $3.50 a dozen
andy

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookums
They are hard little buggers to catch sometimes. Problem is as soon as they see you they are ALL running to their holes. You can dig for them, one at a time or...

When i used to got to Fort Myers Estero Island every year. (Club I - time share)
I would go out late into the night and place a bed sheet on the ground in front of their holes, cover all edges with sand to keep sheet from blowing away, attach a long nylon cord to two ends and stretch it up into the weeds. Would go down just before day break. The sheet would be covered with them. Pulling the two ropes fast would cover the fiddlers long enough for me to run down, pick up the sheet and drop them into a 6 gal bucket. Keeping fresh and damp sand in bucket will keep the grabs alive for a few days.
Would take them back to the Pink Shell docks and catch sheep head and small snappers. Miss them days!!!
Man! That sounds great.

Reply with quote  #10 
I got 4 dozen medium sized  for 3.50 a dozen at Alifia bait and tackle. All they had left.
  I use them for catching Hogfish. On the near shore wrecks. Fresh shrimp work well also, but the fiddlers narrow down as many grunts. Big grunts will take  the crabs, which is good by me.. but i want to HogSlay.....
 i usually get 3 to 5 .. But land 2 or 3.. Them some bishes  like to part with the hook on the upswing.. My goal  is 4 tomorrow. 

BlacktipinBuckeye

Reply with quote  #11 

In St. Pete I get mine at Tatums on 34th st. Nice sized

ChrisR

Reply with quote  #12 

If you are interested in catching the ones you have already found, there is another method similar to the bed sheet. On the beach where you see them, dig a hole big enough to fit a bucket. Move the sand/dirt/mud around the lip of the bucket so that it is flush with the ground. Then either wait for them to fall in, or herd them into it. EZPZ.

Reply with quote  #13 
I knwo there was a bait shop on the way to anna marie that sold fiddler crabs

eaglesfanguy

Reply with quote  #14 
Found my Fiddler spot.  Cody's bait and tackle 9735 W Hillsborough Ave
Tampa, FL 33615
   Nice sized fiddlers, new shop. Very friendly fellow manning the station.
Treats you very fair. Mom and pop style shop. But its worth a try. i had a very nice experience. and great prices. Check em out.
eaglesfanguy

Reply with quote  #15 
I am armed with 14 dozen plus fair sized fiddlers.. Hogfish beware!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement