CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

spb_angler

Reply with quote  #1 
  Have the day off school on wednesday and plan on going off St. Pete Beach with 2 friends on his 18'6" boat to some nearshore reefs. Have looked at some charts and the St. Pete Beach Reef thats a few miles out looks decent. I'm basically looking for advice on which artificial reefs within around 5 miles produce the best. We're looking to catch some fish and have some fun. Maybe some mango snapper or short grouper, maybe put out a flatline for kingfish or mackerel, or drop down a big bait for shark. Any and all advice on where to go and what to do is accepted and appreciated. Also what kind of terminal tackle is needed for this type of fishing. I'm assuming it won't be more than 30 feet deep(?), so how much lead do I need and and leader/hook advice is also much appreciated. I've never done the nearshore offshore thing before, I mainly fish inshore and the occasional way offshore thing so I really don't know much on this. Thanks!
-Reid

Mikestyger1

Reply with quote  #2 
Havent' done much/any good grouper fishing, but kings I'm somewhat familiar with.  When you get out there chum, chum, chum.  It'll help draw in all your target species (kings, sharks, Spanish, probably grouper as well).  For the grouper here's what's worked for me.
-I use all spinning reels...Penn 5500 SS - 7500SS
-About 50lbs braid, but you can easily get away with 20-30lb mono or braid
-I use a leader of 80lb mono unless I know there are smoker kings in the area (then I use wire).  If you have more than one cut off then switch to wire. The leader length I like is about 3-4ft.  I've laded many sharks on that as well and I like it, but some will use wire.  It's your  preference.
-a different array of hook sizes depending on your bait (circle hooks are great).  If you know what a stinger rig is then use that (but attach the treble hook with light wire)
I like to free line live threadfins, sardines, but blue runners and pinfish are very lively on a hook and the kings seem to love them.  for a couple of the really big kings, I've seen people use live lady fish, but this is "heresay" as I've never tried it  There is a good change of hooking into spinner or blacktip sharks while fishing this way though, but either way a great fight.
If you have the opportunity troll through that area, or even around mile markers West of #7&8 in the egmont key channel.  They WILL produce nice kings.  Trolling I do the same as above but utilize a down planer.  if you can have a couple rods out a time then use a silver spoon nd also a live bait on the down planer.
Think that's about it.  Good luck.  They are a great fight.
rockstarjr

Reply with quote  #3 
We speared out at St. Pete reef Sunday and there were definitely some healthy fish out there. We got 4 gags and a some hogs/mangos. I saw some cobia and a huge Goliath. It was super nice getting so much quality fish so close to shore! Good luck!

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarjr
We speared out at St. Pete reef Sunday and there were definitely some healthy fish out there. We got 4 gags and a some hogs/mangos. I saw some cobia and a huge Goliath. It was super nice getting so much quality fish so close to shore! Good luck!

Nice! Thanks I'll be sure to go there soon!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement