CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

andy

Reply with quote  #1 

So much for swimming in the Chesapeake Bay near Sandy Point State Park.
cid:BDDBB66A3F304C8DA6DC1E9A92A54ADC@D465LJ91

Annapolis MD

While the vessel 'Dawn Raider' out of Marklys Marina in Essex, Md. was fishing for Striped Bass  (also locally known as Rock Fish), this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew  members to slip a rope a round it's tail !!! 'And that's when
 things heated up!!

..  The
Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over the stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned. She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in search of food.  Although mid 60 degree water is considered ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.
cid:5E2B512CF8444A9CBCF85D9E5E4DD216@D465LJ91
Markley's Marina

Essex,  MD

NOTE:  THE  TAIL FIN IS THE SIZE OF A MAN!!!

Reply with quote  #2 
no pics.

Is there a link to an actual article?

Thanks
Bob
andy

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFLA
no pics.

Is there a link to an actual article?

Thanks
Bob
My Brother in-law sent it to me this morning. I think he keeps his boat in that marina. If you PM me your e-mail I could forward it to you. I have seen large sharks in the Chesapeake, but never a great white.

Reply with quote  #4 
Holy cripe!  In the bay. No way. Well maybe yes.

For that creature to pull a large boat backwards would take some power. Took some guts to rope the darn thing. Bet they thought of cutting the line a few times.

Interesting 'cause you never know.

Thanks.

Reply with quote  #5 

Forget it guys, just found out the story is true, but location is a joke. It happened in Nova Scotia. Not Chesapeake Bay.

Reply with quote  #6 

Googled and found this.....large short-fin Mako ... that is still cool to me.

Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 16 May, 2005 : - - There is a  good story that has been circulated on the Internet about a large Great White Shark that towed a vessel backwards after being tail looped. The story, a hoax, is posted below. In fact the photographs (above and below) are of a large short-fin Mako shark that was captured off of Nova Scotia.

The close up of the sharks head and mouth clearly show lower dentition that is narrow and pointed, which are characteristics of the Mako shark, unlike the broad, somewhat triangularly serrated teeth of a white shark.

Ralph S. Collier, of the Shark Research Committee has kindly provided the link to the Urban Legends page outlining this particular hoax entitled Yarmouth, Nova Scotia: Urban Legend based on This Years Shark Scramble Catch.

More images of the real event are to be found at the Florida Museaum of Natural History Ichthyology Department and this provided by a Surfersvillage visitor after noticing the hoax story..... Thank you Anonymous.

So the foregoing are the facts, and the following is the HOAX;-

Christ said to "Go Fish"-Matthew 4:19
He never said anything about raking the leaves, painting the house, cleaning the gutters, taking out the trash, picking up the dry cleaning, changing the oil, or walking the dog.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement