CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

kingfisher

Reply with quote  #1 

Have never heard of anyone catching one in the intercoastal? I would like to know if anyone has seen one or heard of one being caught. Apparently Clearwater Marine Aquarium released a dolphin off the Dunedin causeway that was mortally wounded by a reported 8-9foot tiger shark. 

FloridaCrab

Reply with quote  #2 

I've lived here for 51 years, and I've never seen or heard of a tiger shark in the intercoastal.  I have heard of them being caught offshore in the summer time.

Reply with quote  #3 
Yea I don't know about the Tiger report.  It came from the same people that spent 8months reviving a Dolphin that lasted 3hrs in the wild.

My guess would be a Bullshark

sn00kerh00ker

Reply with quote  #4 
man those bullsharks. i was once told that they were in lakes, by a 7 yr. old. lol

Polk county boy!
seeinred

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebucket
Yea I don't know about the Tiger report.  It came from the same people that spent 8months reviving a Dolphin that lasted 3hrs in the wild.

Pretty funny if you ask me, what a waste of money and time...

Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinred
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebucket

Pretty funny if you ask me, what a waste of money and time...

Good thing to spend money on with so little of it to go around. The dolphin had to be save b/c it was attacked by a shark what did they expect, that was a lame wuss dolphin.

GetRwet

Moderators
Reply with quote  #7 
Some of those folks are marine biologist, so you think they would know.  

Reply with quote  #8 

No the Dolphin was relocated to a aquarium up in panama city and was realesed there no Dunedin Causeway. Also it was released for almost three hours out in the gulf before attack.

lunker1982

Reply with quote  #9 
hookinup thats not right, the dolphin was taken up to the panhandle but they brought it back to dunedin for the release. They said that it would be better for the dolphin because it was his area that he came from and it would not take long for him to reaclimate himself. I guess the reaclimation took longer than expected and it was two sharks that got him not one! Not sure if they mentioned what kind of sharks they were.

J.Z.

Reply with quote  #10 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn00kerh00ker
i was once told that they were in lakes, by a 7 yr. old. lol

Bull Sharks are capable of living in fresh water. There are cases (in Nicaragua I think) where there are lakes with completely landlocked sharks. I don't think that it is uncommon for bullsharks to be caught waaayyyy up in rivers though.

Reply with quote  #11 

Ahh gotcha lunker. Thanks for the info. Man I guess there are tiger sharks out here then as I am sure in the report I heard they said the 2nd was a big tiger shark!

lunker1982

Reply with quote  #12 

Really wouldn't suprise me, shark are migratory predators, they go where they can find food and just so happened homie wasn't as strong as the biologist thought and got messed up. makes me wonder why they get paid so much if things like this happen!!!

Reply with quote  #13 
This June we watch a marine biologist boat take a Tarpon from an anglers boat. Weigh it, test it, tag it, only to release it to instant death by a huge Hammerhead!
These guys are book smart but not always water tested.

Reply with quote  #14 
Hey now on those book smart marine biologist guys. I think most of them are avid anglers and outdoorsmen, the ones I know, and that is what helps lead them to that career choice. Like myself. The dolphin was rescued in December with pneumonia off Anclote. The water is much cooler then. The previous shark attack was an old healed wound when it stranded. 30% of adult dolphins have shark attack scars in our area. In Australia 70%. That dolphin was completely healthy. Something had to trigger that attack by more than one shark. It could have been stress, irregular swimming patterns or something else that they picked up on. When first released there were several other dolphins in the area. Our dolphin decided to head south in the intercoastal by itself. The attack was in the intercoastal between Dunedin and Clearwater. Just today there was a dolphin spotted in Tampa Bay that was reported to be bound up with fishing line. I am a fisherman and would never want to see that taken away, but I also want every fisherman to be responsible and take care of our envirnoment. Like people, nothing gets done untill a disaster happens and then things change. Car safety, airline safety etc. Lunker1982, No body chooses marine biology for the money. There are career grocery tellers that make more.
MotherOcean

Reply with quote  #15 

I heard a couple of biologist talking about this yesterday. They said that the tiger shark was Id'd by the bite marks not by someone that saw the shark. To me that is not a good way to id what kind attacked it. I also heard that dolphin can detect a shark from a mile away. They believe something was wrong with this ones sonar and that it could not be detected in the tank. The question even that should we even try to rehab animals that are hurt or should nature just take it course.I know a lot of biologist from around the country and very few are true fishermen. They do have a lot of book smarts and when you add in a few that know fishing they can do some good work. As for the Hammerhead killing the shark after it was worked on they even had a bullshark attack and end up in the boat with them a few years back that the FWC guys have on tape. They is a problem they have with tarpon but not only the biologist but fishermen too. I was watching the PTTS tournament a few weeks back and several fish were killed in one show by sharks. It is just the price we pay for putting stress on fish.

Print

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement