CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

Rooster

Reply with quote  #1 

I'm doing some research and I plan to buy one or the other in the near future,  but I am torn between the two. Whatever I get, a poling platform will be mandatory. My main use for this boat will be to bring Friends with me, I love my canoe, but that only works for me and my nephew ( but with as fast as he is growing I doubt I can even take him on that for much longer, lol), but for me to bring a full sized adult friend or two the canoe just wont do it.  I'm thinking a finely rigged gheenoe would do the job, but then again, for the prices of the gheenoes with the poling platform, casting decks and everything I would want on it,  I was thinking I should just make the step up to a full blown flats skiff sich as the carolina skiff j16. What are the pro's and cons of either one for those who have more experiance than I.

Reply with quote  #2 
Well if you want to bring more people than your nephew you might not want a gheenoe, every gheenoe I've ever seen or been in was pretty packed with just two people.

But if you want a poling platforma gheenoe may be the way to go, carolina skiffs are terrible to pole.

Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah, I agree with seeinred... I had a Carolina Skiff but sold it to get a kayak, the main reason was because the skiff had SO much hull slap. But other than that the "Skiff" was great.  I've never been on a Gheeno so I can't tell you about them but good luck with what ever you chose.

Reply with quote  #4 
Rooster, I just went from a highsider to a J16 a month ago. While I loved the gheenoe and had it for two years, fishing two was very tight. I would hate the fact I basically had to briefly hump my fishing partner while sliding past him or her to get to the front deck to use the T motor. They are fairly stable, but the highsider was still tippy with two aboard. The classic and new LT 15 and 25 are about a foot wider and quite a bit more stable than the highsider. The LT's have a newly redesigned nose that cuts back on water coming over the front. My old highsider took on water facing VERY small wakes, waves, etc. The pros: great on gas. Had a 2 stroke 15 that ran all day on 3 gallons. Can put in off the beach, saving $$ on ramp fees. Floated skinny. The cons: Very tight with 2 ppl, gear and rods. Took water over the bow. SCARY in wind and anything more than a mod chop.

The J16 is great. More than two times the width of the gheenoe. Same length. Mine is rated for a 25 hp. Fishes 3 easy. 2 on deck, 1 in rear. Rated to carry 5 ppl. Floats in 6 inches of water. No real issues fishing near bridges and in a moderate chop, although the ride is rough due to the flat bottom. Have not tried to put in off beach, and most likely won't. Boat is too big.

The real kicker is the cost. The Highsider is $750 new. LT 15 is $2200 new. A platform will run you more cash. Some of these new rigged gheenoes I've seen run 4 to 5K. Without an outboard.  A new J16 hull with front deck and 1 bench seat is about $1700. From what I hear they do not pole well. You get way more boat for the money, IMHO. Trailer is about the same at $600.

There are good used deals on all these boats on craigslist. I found my J16 with a 2004 4 stroke Tohatsu for only $2200, plus $600 for a new trailer. Do a demo, than make your decision! Good luck!

andy

Reply with quote  #5 

Go with the carolina skiff j16. IMHO

Reply with quote  #6 
Rooster,

I am a Gheenoe highsider owner.  I love my Gheenoe BUT as my kids get older, I know I am moving twards a J16 or J17.  As it is, its really tough to take them out in the Gheenoe.  They just need a bit more room to roam around.  The Gheenoe is a GREAT boat specific to what it is built for and poles very well.....  I got it (like many others) as a great first boat.  I also had decks put on the front and back for water protection.  Golden Flats has a great summary (including risks).  If you are looking for more room and have the extra cash, I would reccomend a Gheenoe Classic or a CS J16.  The CS J16 is more versitile IMHO (unless you are doing ONLY extreme skinny water).

Fishindad

Reply with quote  #7 

J16 with a 25HP Tiller and a trolling motor will get you and another most anywhere on the flats....best thing of all, if you get too shallow for the motors (which would be around 3 or 4") you can get out and easily pull it too deeper water.

Reply with quote  #8 

I love my j16,  i have the 25HP yamaha 2 stroke, cruises around 27 knots, bench seats, well seat in the rear, 55lb minn kota riptide bow mount...for the money, its the best you can get, no polling platform though,  its tuff to poll a flat bottom skiff, no keal to keep you going in a strait line, but no worries, i poll mine from the back seat with a large dowel, its all you really need...

dockterdon

Reply with quote  #9 
I have  a J14 with a 25hp Honda 4 stroke and it has been a great boat for me. If I had it all to do over I would get a 2 stroke (less weight).
pros goes skinny, very fuel efficient, plenty of speed with 2 people onboard.
cons rides rough in chop, lots of hull slap. When I pole I trim the motor up and pole from the front deck seems to work ok for me. Good luck with your decision.

Reply with quote  #10 
Had both at the same time. Currently only have the Highsider. Which I havent used in ages.

The CS - The CS is economical, durable, will handle a little ocean and is a decent little boat. NOT a boat that I would bother poling any distance. Trolling motor.

The Noe - The noe is also economical, not so durable and sucks in ANY bit of Sea. Poles better then the CS... still makes little hull slap(the chine is flat, the water bumps it towards the bow). A forward style casting platform works well for a poling station.

If your wanting to hit docks at night, fish some on the beach and cover a little more ground... The CS. If your going to be flyfishing in shallow water mostly, poling ect... the Noe.. no doubt.

I think the Gheenoe is strongly overated/hyped when it comes to the crazy custom ones... but a barebones model, had for cheap is certainly a worthy fishing machine.

Having said all that... If I had a kayak or a Canoe already, I'd get the CS and keep both.

Just my opinion

Reply with quote  #11 
There is a big difference between a highsider and a gheenoe classic, when it comes to stability and seaworthyness. The Classic is longer, wider and much more stable.
The Carolina Skiff is more suitable for 3 anglers. However it would still be crowded. 3 anglers on my Silver King is crowded and it is wider than both of the aforementioned craft.
You really cant go wrong with either. Although I would definitely recommend a Gheenoe Classic over a Highsider.
As far as between the Gheenoe Classic or the Carolina Skiff J16. Hard to say. Try em both and then decide.
And I truly think that a poling platform is pretty much a waste on either. They look cool... but do you do most of your fishing alone or with someone else? It is not impossible but a real pain in the ass to pole and try to fish by yourself. And a push pole is just one more piece of gear to have to drag along when you go fishing, and find a place to store when your not, and to worry about flying off the boat while your towing it or under way. Not to mention attractive to thieves. (Why? Who knows?? thieves are idiots.)
Pupraiser

Reply with quote  #12 
You'll push pole for 3 or 4 months.  Then wish you had a troller.

I have no experience with a Gheenoe...but my dad has a big CS.  It is a fantastic boat for where he fishes.  Mosquito Lagoon...but put some chop on the water and it will beat you to death.  I have no clue how a Gheenoe handles but even a moderate chop the CS is brutal.

Not that this is a big issue.  But I found it very difficult to control the CS while in reverse. 

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupraiser

Not that this is a big issue.  But I found it very difficult to control the CS while in reverse. 

Yes!! God pup I thought it was just me...It handles very bad going in reverse!!
jaybar1977

Reply with quote  #14 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loukiii
There is a big difference between a highsider and a gheenoe classic, when it comes to stability and seaworthyness. The Classic is longer, wider and much more stable.
The Carolina Skiff is more suitable for 3 anglers. However it would still be crowded. 3 anglers on my Silver King is crowded and it is wider than both of the aforementioned craft.
You really cant go wrong with either. Although I would definitely recommend a Gheenoe Classic over a Highsider.
As far as between the Gheenoe Classic or the Carolina Skiff J16. Hard to say. Try em both and then decide.
And I truly think that a poling platform is pretty much a waste on either. They look cool... but do you do most of your fishing alone or with someone else? It is not impossible but a real pain in the ass to pole and try to fish by yourself. And a push pole is just one more piece of gear to have to drag along when you go fishing, and find a place to store when your not, and to worry about flying off the boat while your towing it or under way. Not to mention attractive to thieves. (Why? Who knows?? thieves are idiots.)

The "HOTROD" was the s@&t!!!  Except when you smash your face into it. I haven't been on the new boat, so I can't comment.

Reply with quote  #15 
The poling platform will be more of a "sight fishing" platfom than an actual poling platform, I like to stand high off the water so I'd most likely do alot of my fishing from atop the platform, also, if I bring some one, it would be my own little spot, and will leave more room for my passenger.   

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement