CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

cwhiteside

Reply with quote  #1 
I have an older Johnson 88 and the sterring pipe that goes through the outboard bracket is stuck.  I have been putting penetrating oil on it for a month, but am getting nowhere.  There is very little room to work between the boat and the outboard.  Any helpful tips?

Thanks
naustin

Reply with quote  #2 

Can you loosen the nut and pull the shaft out? I have loosen the nut and had to tap the shaft out. If you can get it out do your self a favor and replace the steering cable.  More problems will come even if you get it fixed. 

Grab a hand fulll!!!
ValricoMark

Reply with quote  #3 
What exactly is stuck?  The steering cable? 
There is a steering tube, which is part of the motor.  The steering cable goes thru that, and attaches with a nut on the port side of the motor.  To remove the cable, you will need to loosen that nut and pull or push the cable thru the steering tube.  Sometimes, you will need to remove the motor from the boat to do this; due to the angle of rigging tube towards the motor.

Now, if you need to replace the steering tube itself, you will need to have an engine hoist to support the motor.  The tube itself is held in place by two nuts on either side of the bracket.  You can purchase a new s.s. tube at T.A. Mahoneys in tampa.  You will likely want to bring your old one with you as there are different sizes.

ribmaster

Reply with quote  #4 

Shoot some grease in it and have some one turn the weel while you tap on the rod, If it's not too bad this will work.

Reply with quote  #5 
Had a similar problem on my 50 Merc.  But mine wasn't completely stuck it was just hard to turn.  The above post fixed my problem but I didn't even need to tap it.  Just applied some grease as I turned the wheel to get it all the way through the shaft.  Worked like a charm.  Hope this helps...if it can't simply be fixed, you should always ask a professional as a quick fix can lead to worse problems in the future.
rftracker2

Reply with quote  #6 

I had one freeze up a while back and tried all of the above. The only one that worked was the one where i forked over some dough to the dealer.

Reply with quote  #7 

if it is stuck tight you may need to just get a hammer and punch and drive it out. That's all the are going to do at the shop. I then use a wire brush that is made to clean shotgun barrels to clean the tube out. Can be rust or hard grease in the tube. Get a new steering cable and it should be good as new I use the mercury 2-4-c grease that has teflon in it and it seems to work better than most grease

Reply with quote  #8 

If it's the steering cable stuck in the steering tube you can try to undo the steering link-arm(the "J" shaped arm) from the engine and use a 2x4 & a hammer to get the cable moving. If you really need to hit the end of the cable put a bolt in the hole left from removing the link-arm, or you'll egg the hole. Always turn the engine so that as much of the steering cable as possible is out of the tube, that way if it sticks, it's much ezer to free up. I use 3in1 oil to lube my steering cable.

I

Reply with quote  #9 
SW,

How do you get the oil on the cable inside the column? My last cable replacement cost a bundle and I would like to avoid the next bill as long as possible. Mine has a zerk for grease but I really don't trust it since I kept the last one well greased.

Reply with quote  #10 

if you end up having to pay a shop the labor to lift the engine off the boat to get the cable out of the tilt tube to lube it, you should check into the price of replacing the tilt tube with an after market stainless tilt tube. you'll never have to deal with this problem again. i agree with snook wisperer, when you leave the motor turned to the right leaving the cable out you have a better chance of getting it freed up

Birdseye

Reply with quote  #11 

When I had a friend help me replace my steering cable after freezing up he said that zerk is for oil not grease.  use 3-1 oil or wd-40

Thomas Jefferson
snookwhisperer

Reply with quote  #12 

Once a year, undo the steering link arm and turn the steering-wheel all the way out. This will allow you to get at the steering cable, clean the old oil and grease off. Next put the oil on the cable, after that put the link arm back on till next year. I know it's a bit of a chore but if you've had to pay to get your cable unfroze it doesn't seem so bad after all. If you can pull the cable all the way out of the engine you can also clean the inside of the steering tube, good stuff! You can also buy a nut to replace the one on the cable, it has a "o" ring and a jug of oil. The "O" ring keeps the oil in the tube area. I used this nut and oil on a skiff that would freeze up and it cured the problem.

Reply with quote  #13 

How do you put oil in a zerk?

eggsuckindog

Reply with quote  #14 

As mentioned only use wood or something on the end, if you flare the end you will never get it out. Try getting a hand held torch if you can't knock it out and heat it up usually works, clean tube out as mentioned new cable and your done. Use waterproof multi purpode grease and plenty of it will be fine.

apaulos

Reply with quote  #15 
On an 88SPL, the zerk fitting is for lubing the tube/tilt. It doesn't feed into the steering cable. There is an after market kit tilt tube nut that includes a fitting for greasing the inside of the tube/steering cable. Mahoney's had them in stock the last time I was in there

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=52011F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhiteside

How do you put oil in a zerk?

Wow, once a week for three years. And you still dont catch anything?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement