CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

Hooked4life

Reply with quote  #1 

Is there a trick to cleaning mangrove snapper? I finally went out and bought a decent knife today so I could fillet the snapper we caught last night. Now I'm sure this is partly due to the fact that my filleting skills are not that great but I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of rib bones still in the fillets I cut. Is there an easy way to remove them? I tried to get many of them out but eneded up doing more damage to the fillets than anything else so I just left them for now. if I was going to bake them I wouldn't worry because I could just pull them out easily once cooked but my kids want me to fry them up. Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

rdsrdy2go

Reply with quote  #2 
me thinks... you have your answer

you got a good knife now and you realize that there are too many bones

just cut above them

when I fillet them, I cut from the dorsal down to the spine on either side
flip 'em over and work it from the backbone to the belly on either side
cut at tail
cut behind the head
then work that knife around the ribs

then remove skin

result?
2 clean fillets

I take a long time on my fillets        no rush   flesh fingers & sharp metal knife

TEAM SSSoTB
(southside skunks of Tampa Bay )
fishhawk

Reply with quote  #3 
Looked to see if you were close so I could show you. Too far so...

It's a fast three-cut method and I do mean fast.

First cut is from the front to the tail but not below the spine. Next cut is from the spine and over the ribs to the tail. Next cut is under the skin from the tail foreword.

One, two, three and one side is done. No bones and no mess.

You may want to trim the center line out as there is red meat there. I just cut down it on both sides and throw the center line out. Guess I lied...it's four cuts.

Reply with quote  #4 

I always start at the tail and cut along the spine(keep your knife angled toward the bone, you can feel it) to the head cutting through the rib cage then take the skin off (again keep your knife angled down toward the skin)  and then cut the ribs out (if it's not a big fish it's a waste of time to try and save the rib meat IMO) I don't worry about the blood line unless it's a big fish, but that's just me.

Reply with quote  #5 
My way is kinda "ghetto" but I can clean my limit in less than 10 minutes.

Cut behind the gills down to the tail, repeat other side.

Then I skin them, after skinning them I just COMPLETELY cut the rib cage out.

I end up with a kind of funny looking fillet, but I waste only a tiny bit of meat and I can get done fast!

I know its the wrong way of doing things, but its all about speed in the kitchen!   I know, even at home.  Its a sickness...

Jim

Nola_2_Sarasota

Reply with quote  #6 

I think the best fileter in the world cannot remove all meat from a 10" - 15" snapper without losing some meat. I think it is best to scale, cut head off, clip fins and tail and gut. If you like grilled, baked, or sauteed fish, if cooked correctly the meat will come completely off the bone and skin will easily peel off, you will be left with two perfect pieces of meat.

fishmaster892

Reply with quote  #7 

i had a 14" snapper from Saturday morning i ate yesterday i had no problem filleting it. i got a nice snapper sand which.

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola_2_Sarasota

I think the best fileter in the world cannot remove all meat from a 10" - 15" snapper without losing some meat. I think it is best to scale, cut head off, clip fins and tail and gut. If you like grilled, baked, or sauteed fish, if cooked correctly the meat will come completely off the bone and skin will easily peel off, you will be left with two perfect pieces of meat.

IMHO thats a nice way to do small to med size Fish and makes for some
Fine eating
 Tarpon Springs
Costa's rest.   whole Snapper Dinner mmmmmmmmmmm mmm
jimmysmallfinger

Reply with quote  #9 
You said it right Tommy!  Those Greeks sure know how to cook a Snapper huh??
boomer135

Reply with quote  #10 

I remember a while ago there was a Youtube clip posted ...Did some searching but wonder where it went

Reply with quote  #11 
a lot of good suggestions. just wanted to add one thing that goes for any fish.........don't over rinse/wash the fillet. if you do then you are losing a lot of the natural flavor out of the meat. fish is kind of like steak, you want all those juices to remain.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement