CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

westarkwaterrat

Reply with quote  #1 
What is the best way to mix gas and oil?

Premix in gas cans?
Put gas directly in boat, then add oil?
Add oil first, then put gas in?
ValricoMark

Reply with quote  #2 
I bought one of those plastic measuring cups.  It tells you how much oil to put int at 50:1, according to how many gallons you add. 
I guess how many gallons I will need, and put in the oil first.  Then fill the tank.  If I need to add more oil, I do so.  If I add a little too much, thats fine in my book.  I just replace the plugs more often. 

bigjohn

Reply with quote  #3 

If im putting in a known quantity of fuel I always put in the oil first I've always believed the oil/fuel mixes better this way.

grouppimp

Reply with quote  #4 

by the time you get to the ramp or your fist 100 yards into the gulf the oil and gas are mixed pretty good do it the easy way use the cup like mark said thats all ive done when i used to mix my oil/gas you are making something big out of something small good luck

Reply with quote  #5 

I usually add gas then multiply by 2.5 and add the oil. Don't know what ratio that leaves me with, but it's what Ive been using it since I started boating without and issue. Works out, and I'm sure by the time you're at the ramp it's mixed well enough.

Reply with quote  #6 

mix one quart of oil to 12 gallons of gas.. or one gallon of oil to 48 gallons of gas.. i just put my oil right into the gas tank, then pump the gas.. however I have a fuel flow gauge so i know how much gas its going to take to fill up, so I add the proper oil before pumping.. works great..

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted9867

I usually add gas then multiply by 2.5 and add the oil. Don't know what ratio that leaves me with, but it's what Ive been using it since I started boating without and issue. Works out, and I'm sure by the time you're at the ramp it's mixed well enough.

I think I'm missing something here. 3 gal. gas x 2.5 = 7.5 gal of oil. I use a 50 to 1 mix bottle.
spyder

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted9867

I think I'm missing something here. 3 gal. gas x 2.5 = 7.5 gal of oil. I use a 50 to 1 mix bottle.

You should mix 50 to 1.
I fuel up then dump the oil in the tank.
I also use a plastic premix bottle.

Basically 10 gals. of fuel takes allmost a qt. of oil.

Use a premix bottle to get it right.
Skiffin16

Reply with quote  #9 

When I had a two stroke, I also did the same as BigJohn, Oil first then the Gas....basically on a 50:1 mixture, it's 1 quart of oil for 12.5 gallons of gas, or in his case 1 pint to 6 gallons.

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshorenut

mix one quart of oil to 12 gallons of gas.. or one gallon of oil to 48 gallons of gas.. i just put my oil right into the gas tank, then pump the gas.. however I have a fuel flow gauge so i know how much gas its going to take to fill up, so I add the proper oil before pumping.. works great..

Normally, that what I do. However, I went to fuel up the boat today, I always try to keep it full during hurricane season, and I put in 2 quarts and the tank only took 16 gallons!!!!!! WHAT A MORON!!!!! I realized this was the first time I filled my tank up and didn't really know how big (?) it was or wasn't!!!!!

Reply with quote  #11 
I have a Mercury Optimax.  I put the gas in the gas tank and the oil in the oil tank and let 'er rip!

Reply with quote  #12 

I used to put 12 oz. into 6 gal. of gas which is the right ratio.   .12x50=6.00  or,

48 gal. at 50-1,
      50/into 4800=96oz.

CStrevel_FinsUP

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHaul
I have a Mercury Optimax.  I put the gas in the gas tank and the oil in the oil tank and let 'er rip!

Now that's the way you do it!!!

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement