CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

ericfebs

Reply with quote  #1 

Brought a few people out on the boat yesterday.  Was a bit rough out there, but we landed 2 nice kings, a rudderfish, and some nice red grouper.  I cleaned the grouper and found that 3 of the 4 we kept were loaded up with worms.  All the fish were caught on the same spot, all 25"-27".  Is this unusual?

Yeh, I like to fish.
grouppimp

Reply with quote  #2 

a ton of salt water fish have worms some people cut them out and some call it a little extra protien i myself cut them out almost every red grouper ive cought has a worm or two amberjacks another worm bag

Reply with quote  #3 

Pretty much all red grouper will have worms.  I don't keep them.

Reply with quote  #4 
Red Grouper are full of them, so is Speckled Trout. It ruins the whole fish for me. That is why I do not target those 2 fish. Nasty.

Glen
Skiffin16

Reply with quote  #5 
I haven't seen any "loaded" with them, I have seen a few (but then I haven't caught any for awhile either).  They are usually easy to cut out, hold the fillet up to the light and you can see what looks like a rice kernel or two if they are there...just cut it out if it bothers you.

I do have to agree as for Trout though, if I see a lot along the back bone, it's not too appealing.

The same with larger Black Drum.....

Reply with quote  #6 

Red grouper always seem to carry a few.  Never bothers me though I just cook them and tell my wife that its just what the fillet looks like.  They don't taste like anything and if you just cut the worm itself it seems to bleed out or something when you cook it.

jimmysmallfinger

Reply with quote  #7 
I dunno about the Red Grouper, but the last Trout I filleted had some worms and I had never seen this before.  It was kinda nasty so I cut them out of the fillets then went online and did some research.

According to every source I checked, the worms are absolutely harmless to humans, so after I took the worms out, I didnt feel so bad eating it...., I mean I didnt wanna kill the fish and then just throw it away.

It was definitely gross though!

Jim

fishhawk

Reply with quote  #8 
Worms common in red grouper. Disgusting to think I can eat worms if I just cook or bleed them.  Rarely keep those things because of worms.

Red Grouper meat is kind of mushy compared to gags. Another reason not to keep them. Too many good eating fish out there to bother with red grouper.

Reply with quote  #9 
"Red Grouper meat is kind of mushy compared to gags. Another reason not to keep them. Too many good eating fish out there to bother with red grouper"

Hawk, I think you nailed it. It cracks me up when people actual target those fish. I would rather have a bucket full of Grunts than a nasty old red full of worms.

IMHO-nothing taste better than Grunts. Even Mangos have that oil line down them that can ruin the taste. Call me picky.

Glen
Skiffin16

Reply with quote  #10 
Grunts and Grits....

I think a lot can be said on differing approaches at preserving your catch, cleaning, filleting, and preparation as well as cooking methods.....

I personally think that Mangos are one of the best tasting fish out there..of course Pompano is very high on my list as well..... 

Reply with quote  #11 
The commercial guys get paid more for gags than reds,but they catch more reds than gags.The meat on the gags is tight and white with no loss"worms".
If you like worms,just order a grouper sandwich,or you can catch some gags and grunts and eat SWEET!!
seastriker

Reply with quote  #12 

been privilegd of not havin woms an any grouper or AJs ive caught but  will be ready

Reply with quote  #13 

Ok so I think everyone has reached a consensus, I'm just nasty when it comes to eating fish.  It just doesn't seem to bother me about the worms.  Usually its only one or two.  I don't believe there to be too much difference between the reds and the gags.  Scamp are my favorite fish in the ocean but I'll quickly gobble up any red grouper as well.  Maybe I'm like the red grouper I catch, I'll eat anything if I keep it.  I do agree that gags are more fun and maybe taste a slight bit better but I'm no chef and I just haven't been on the gags as heavy as I have the reds, so I'll take what I can get.

pooman

Reply with quote  #14 

if fish is mushy its not cooked right. all i heard from everybody is that snook is the best eating fish in the sea. when i had it, it was mushy! i love all grouper and i encourage all members to throw back all the red grouper you catch!!!!

groupershooter

Reply with quote  #15 

I rest my case pooman.  Is it bad that the guy who agree's with me has "poo" in his name?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement