CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

Zman

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys,

I recently purchased some stone crab traps and I am looking for a place to buy pigs feet.  I went to my local publix and the guy looked at me like I was crazy.  Does anyone know of a good place I could purchase them?  I know they last a lot longer than fish heads and that is great because I only plan to pull once a week.

Thanks
-Zman
ElMortePescado

Reply with quote  #2 
Best bait for a stone crab trap is a smashed-up spider or blue crab.  Stone crabs eat otehr crabs.

As far as pig's feet are concerned, I really don't know.  I would suggest setting a few traps and trying to get some blue crabs and spider crabs.

Reply with quote  #3 
ANY LOCAL BUTCHER/MEAT MARKET WILL HAVE THEM.

GOOD LUCK,

DBCOOPER
garypoyssick

Reply with quote  #4 
A lot of the crabbers use shad. Frozen shad. And any junk they can find. But a butcher's market is a place to find pig's feet.

As a kid I ate ones that got cut off slaughtered pigs. And pickled Pig's feet, not Stone Crabs. We ate Crabs, too, but not pickled.

If you throw a net, watch for shad in the summer. Threadfin work too, but not as well as those smelly shad do. Shad flip their tails like little propellers (think of a helicopter hitting the water; what its blades would look like as they actually spun while touching the water). Those are shad -- they look WAY different than that rain that threadfin make. You can net them by the jillions at times -- warmer water than now (tarpon eat them like candy). And since they're Plankton eaters like threadfin, they won't come to chum but they'll take sabiki.

Freeze boxes of those Shad or Threadfin. Use those for crabs. Freebies. Just like the crabs Or buy them at Mastry's in Saint Pete on 4th Street South -- around 17th ave (or so).

It's a little late to do it now, but next spring when the baits start showing up again, think winter crabbing for 2011and start stockpiling baits. Crabbers -- even serious amateurs -- keep freezers for that specific purpose.

poyssick

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper
ANY LOCAL BUTCHER/MEAT MARKET WILL HAVE THEM.

GOOD LUCK,

DBCOOPER
 DBCooper is the only one that answered your question, and he is right. Hit the meat market.

Reply with quote  #6 
I see them at sweet bay markets a lot
go to tarpon docks all the commercial guys use them
If you can't PM me and I'll call around for you
russ

Reply with quote  #7 

I think you can get the not for consumption ones for that!

Reply with quote  #8 

The commercial bait houses have them...usually in 50# boxes

Zman

Reply with quote  #9 

Thanks for the tips guys.  It is appreciated.

pigfish

Reply with quote  #10 

Save-a-lot usually have pigs feet at a reasonable cost.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement