CapMel.com Fishing Forums
Register  |   |   |  New Posts

Author Comment

Rawdaws

Reply with quote  #1 
I've been fishing hard with my CI4/star seagis combo for the last year or so and I love the reel. Problem is I only have one strictly inshore spinning combo that is up to par for redfish tourney fishing. I was going through my bass tackle the other day and realized I've been letting my Shimano Curado just hang on the wall untouched since I hit some lakes last spring. Most likely I need to get it serviced, and I know I need to respool it with new line. Should I go braid or stick with mono? I know a lot of redfish guys use braid on their baitcasters, but I also know that some knots can be impossible to get out. Just wondering what some other people think.

Reply with quote  #2 
Everyone I talk to says if ytou use a baitcaster use 30pd or larger braid and you shouldnt
have a problem. The small stuff seems to pull down into itself on hard hookset.
Just a opinion

Reply with quote  #3 
I used 20lb braid on my bait casters (Abu Garica RCN50) and I have no problem. I do on occasion get backlash in the spool(my fault) but find it very easy to clear. I have never had to cut the line nor have I ever had it pull down into itself.
PropBlast

Reply with quote  #4 
You also need to watch which braid you're using.  Some 30lbs is thicker than other 30lbs and has less tendency to bury.  For example, I have 30lbs Tuff-Line braid on a Calcutta 400 and  30lbs Daiwa Samuri on a Callcutta 200GTB.  The Samuari is much slicker and thinner at the same test.

I'd be curious has the "new & improved" Power Pro Slick 8 performs on baitcasters.  I have some 15lbs on a Penn Conquer, but haven't used it yet.

PB
johnD_

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropBlast
You also need to watch which braid you're using.  Some 30lbs is thicker than other 30lbs and has less tendency to bury.  For example, I have 30lbs Tuff-Line braid on a Calcutta 400 and  30lbs Daiwa Samuri on a Callcutta 200GTB.  The Samuari is much slicker and thinner at the same test.

I'd be curious has the "new & improved" Power Pro Slick 8 performs on baitcasters.  I have some 15lbs on a Penn Conquer, but haven't used it yet.

PB

I used it for 3 months and hated it.. still prefer the old stuff on my baitcasters in #40. on my spinning reels I have invisbraid #10 and love it !
Grandoug

Reply with quote  #6 
Some of the braids are advertised as not being "round" but more oval or flattened, thus less prone to pulling down into itself on a hard hookset or spooling under the tension of a large fish...I don't know if this is an advertising hooey or scientific fact, but it might be worth a try.

Reply with quote  #7 
I use regular 20lb power pro.
Rawdaws

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks for the input. I just picked up 150 yards of 30lb Suffix 832 braid. I have 10lb on my Ci4 and I love it. Plus I think it's easier to get knots out becuase of how smooth the line is. I'll give an update of how I like it sometime Saturday evening. 

Reply with quote  #9 
I use 20 lbs on my calcuttas 200gtb

Grab a hand fulll!!!
srchn4salmon

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdaws
I've been fishing hard with my CI4/star seagis combo for the last year or so and I love the reel. Problem is I only have one strictly inshore spinning combo that is up to par for redfish tourney fishing. I was going through my bass tackle the other day and realized I've been letting my Shimano Curado just hang on the wall untouched since I hit some lakes last spring. Most likely I need to get it serviced, and I know I need to respool it with new line. Should I go braid or stick with mono? I know a lot of redfish guys use braid on their baitcasters, but I also know that some knots can be impossible to get out. Just wondering what some other people think.

The Curado is probably one of the most popular salmon fishing reels in the PNW.  Braid was also very popular on them.  But you will get knots, and they will be impossible to get out, just part of using braid but it doesn't happen that often if you are using the right equipment.
Rawdaws

Reply with quote  #11 
Still haven't got the chance to dial it in right. Didn't want to waste any time Saturday during the tournament, and Sunday it was so cold/windy I didn't want to mess with it either. Hopefully it warms up soon and I'll get going.

Reply with quote  #12 
I got away from baitcasters years ago.    I ran pure fluorocarbon on mine instead of braid.   I think that with improved braided lines I would consider doing it differently if I got baitcasters again.      I thought that the braid could dig into the spool more while fighting a big fish.   It would work itself out but I just felt more comfortable with fluoro main lines for better durability than monofilament and it seemed to have less "dig" like the braid.

http://www.strikethreekayakfishing.com

Co-host Tampa Fishing Outfitters Radio 8 to 9AM 1040 AM 

Tarpon70

Reply with quote  #13 
I've used braid on baitcasters for more than a decade now.  To Neil's point...I've never had it dig into the spools, even when we use lots of drag for tarpon.  I would not got back to mono on those setups if you gave it to me...because of increased casting distance and abrasion resistance.

If you are just starting out, I would use 30 or 40lb, then you can drop down to 20 after you're more skilled with the setup and don't' have to worry about backlashes as much...Mike

Reply with quote  #14 
It may be apples to oranges somewhat.    Lots of light lures, wrapped on a spool looser, I think that "dig" becomes more of a problem on any reel.    I think lines are better now where that dig problem isn't as frustrating.      I wouldn't want someone to go by what I say on this one.    What I was saying was what I would do, whether it is best or not.    I shifted away from baitcasters some time ago, not because I dislike them, it is just more versatile for me to use spinning gear for the clients.

http://www.strikethreekayakfishing.com

Co-host Tampa Fishing Outfitters Radio 8 to 9AM 1040 AM 

ALLAN

Reply with quote  #15 
20lb PowerPro works good on my Garcia 5500c

Quick Navigation:

All posts express only the views of the author of the post and not those of Capt. Mel Berman, or Mel-Fin Corporation. User Agreement